Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sustainable Catholics Present Stand Up

Soulful Sustainability

My name is Greg Martin and I live in Portland, OR and I am a life long Catholic looking for a home in God's spiritual World. I have been involved in Sustainble concerns for over 10 years as a green builder...but I am looking for more. I am looking to feel in real tangible ways what it means to be sustainable from People all over this world. I want to help facilitate a community of folks Catholic or not that want to talk about Sustainability and maybe help stimulate some movement in our hearts, heads and hands. Have been involved in some many different things I have learned that living a "soulful sustainable life" is a lot of work, failings, honesty, but most importantly being open to new things. I felt the wind blowing and here I am blogging for the 1st time.

4 Years ago I helped organize with many others a Festival called the Muddy Boot Organic Festival at our Catholic parish in SE Portland. MuddyBoot.org. I learned much from this and want to help connect others to do more.

I am interested in hearing about why people care about living more simply or sustainably?

2 comments:

  1. I'll stand up with you Greg! For me, God has always been found in nature AND community. Care for our fellow humans is directly tied (for me) with care for creation. And how we show that care in our daily lives and actions DOES make a difference! 3 years ago I started a simple potluck in my neighborhood. Now we have all kinds of activities that reduce our impact while increasing our support of each other. It's amazing to feel that way about where you live!

    As a Catholic, there is a reawakening of how our faith has always been rooted in sustainability before the term ever existed. It's exciting to me to explore my faith in new ways, and I'm hearing from other Catholics that they'd like to be connected on these issues too.

    Let's start telling the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greg,

    I deeply relate to your desire to facilitate a group of Catholics ( and others) who want to explore what it means to live sustainably. For some years now I have been wanting/praying about a way to create an intentional community whose purpose is to live the gospel in harmony with all creation. I am not sure my wording expresses my passion for it, but perhaps you can catch my meaning. When I say an "intentional community" I do not mean a residential community. The oneness would be expressed in our mutual desire to learn with and help each other live our faith in such a way as to offer an alternative to the prevailing culture of consumerism.

    Thanks for putting your heartfelt desire out there. This is mine as best I can put it into words at the moment.

    Gratefully,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete